Shopping Our Way to Safety: How We Changed from Protecting the Environment to Protecting Ourselves Review

Shopping Our Way to Safety: How We Changed from Protecting the Environment to Protecting Ourselves
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
Are you looking to buy Shopping Our Way to Safety: How We Changed from Protecting the Environment to Protecting Ourselves? Here is the right place to find the great deals. we can offer discounts of up to 90% on Shopping Our Way to Safety: How We Changed from Protecting the Environment to Protecting Ourselves. Check out the link below:

>> Click Here to See Compare Prices and Get the Best Offers

Shopping Our Way to Safety: How We Changed from Protecting the Environment to Protecting Ourselves ReviewI worry about my family's health. I buy organic food, I use "green" cleaning products, and I buy bottled water. But I have always had an uncomfortable feeling that these choices were woefully inadequate to protect them and the planet we inhabit.
Reading "Shopping Our Way to Safety" showed me how my efforts are "sold" to me, along with the belief that I can protect my family by being a conscientious consumer. Szasz explains that individual consumption not only doesn't make us safer, it masks the true problems of the toxins that fill our environment. What will make a difference is when we all work together to impact policy changes to address these huge problems.
After reading the book, I notice examples of Szasz's theory of the inverted quarantine everyday. Yesterday, and I am NOT making this up, I saw a TV ad for a product that removes toxins from your body through the bottom of your feet while you sleep!
"Shopping Our Way to Safety" gave me a framework to understand how we got into this environmental mess and how we can get out of it. It is easy to read and filled with a fascinating history of how many of us came to believe that we could ignore the rest of society while imagining that we could protect ourselves. Szasz never pontificates nor slams you with dense sociological theory. He does explain the race and class dimensions of the problem and gives you plenty of sources for more information. Easy to understand.
After reading this book, I donated money to my local environmental justice group and our state-wide occupational health and safety organization. I plan to work with both of them to protect people from workplace toxins and to demand cleaner air, cleaner water, and non-toxic food and goods, not only for my family but for all of us.Shopping Our Way to Safety: How We Changed from Protecting the Environment to Protecting Ourselves Overview

Want to learn more information about Shopping Our Way to Safety: How We Changed from Protecting the Environment to Protecting Ourselves?

>> Click Here to See All Customer Reviews & Ratings Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment